Historical Timeline

YEAR  EVENT    
1835Oglethorpe University chartered near Milledgeville, Georgia, (the old state capital)
President Beman, 1836-1840
1860-1861Sidney Lanier graduates
Oglethorpe University "dies at Gettysburg" as students enlist and endowment is lost in Confederate bonds.
President Talmage, 1841-1865
1870-1872First relocation of Oglethorpe University in Atlanta
1913Reincorporation of Oglethorpe University in Atlanta
Cornerstone laid and classes begin
President Thornwell Jacobs, 1915-1943
1923Dr. Jacobs discovers tomb of General Oglethorpe in England
1924-1930Glory years in athletics at Oglethorpe
In football, Petrels defeat Georgia Tech
Southern Basketball Champions in 1924 and 1930
Historic part of Oglethorpe and quadrangle are completed
1929Oglethorpe receives Silver Lake from William Randolph Hearst
1931-1935Oglethorpe's first radio station was established in 1931 as WJTL, and for many years the station was dedicated to the broadcast of educational programming designed for the public to take additional instruction on various University subjects. (In 1935, WJTL was purchased by a private organization and moved to downtown Atlanta. The call letters were changed to WATL at this time.)
1932Dr. Jacobs discovers oval portrait of J.E.Oglethorpe (hangs now in the President's Office).
On May 22, 1932, New York governor Franklin D. Roosevelt receives an honorary doctorate and gives his first "New Deal" speech as his commencement address for Oglethorpe graduates at Atlanta's Fox Theater.
1933Oglethorpe survives Great Depression through the generosity of B. Baruch and J. T. Lupton
1940Oglethorpe seals the Crypt of Civilization time capsule, not to be opened until 8113 A.D.
1945The start of the Core Curriculum program
Oglethorpe Idea: "A small college, superlatively good" created by President Philip Weltner, 1944-1953.
1959-1969Coach Garland Pinholster leads Petrels to basketball championships
1968Residential expansion of campus
1975-1988Pattillo Era: Oglethorpe University becomes academically selective and gains national recognition
1988 - 1999Stanton Era: Weltner Library renovations, Schmidt Center built, Conant Performing Arts Center built, academic quad placed on National Register of Historic Places.
1999 - 2005Large Era: Robinson Hall renovations, Lupton Auditorium renovations, technology upgrades to classrooms, joined the Annapolis Group, campus master plan completed.
2005 - PresentSchall Era begins