About Us Admissions Academics Athletics Campus Life Alumni
 


 Home < About Us < History < History Timeline

Our Presidents

Brief History of Oglethorpe University

Detailed History of Oglethorpe University

Oglethorpe Historical Timeline

Oglethorpe's 42-Bell Carillon

Honorary Degrees Awarded by Oglethorpe

Alma Mater

Notable Alumni

Year Event
1835

Oglethorpe University chartered near Milledgeville, Georgia, (the old state capital)
President Beman, 1836-1840

1860-1861

Sidney Lanier graduates
Oglethorpe University "dies at Gettysburg" as students enlist and endowment is lost in Confederate bonds.
President Talmage, 1841-1865

1870-1872 First relocation of Oglethorpe University in Atlanta 
1913 Reincorporation of Oglethorpe University in Atlanta
Cornerstone laid and classes begin
President Thornwell Jacobs, 1915-1943 
1923 Dr. Jacobs discovers tomb of General Oglethorpe in England
1924-1930 Glory years in athletics at Oglethorpe
In football, Petrels defeat Georgia Tech
Southern Basketball Champions in 1924 and 1930
Historic part of Oglethorpe and quadrangle are completed 
1929 Oglethorpe receives Silver Lake from William Randolph Hearst 
1931-1935 Oglethorpe's first radio station was established in 1931 as WJTL, and for many years the station was dedicated to the broadcast of educational programming designed for the public to take additional instruction on various University subjects.  (In 1935, WJTL was purchased by a private organization and moved to downtown Atlanta.  The call letters were changed to WATL at this time.) 
1932 Dr. Jacobs discovers oval portrait of J.E.Oglethorpe (hangs now in the President's Office).
On May 22, 1932, New York governor Franklin D. Roosevelt receives an honorary doctorate and gives his first "New Deal" speech as his commencement address for Oglethorpe graduates at Atlanta's Fox Theater. 
1933 Oglethorpe survives Great Depression through the generosity of B. Baruch and J. T. Lupton 
1940 Oglethorpe seals the Crypt of Civilization time capsule, not to be opened until 8113 A.D. 
1945 The start of the Core Curriculum program
Oglethorpe Idea: "A small college, superlatively good" created by President Philip Weltner, 1944-1953. 
1959-1969 Coach Garland Pinholster leads Petrels to basketball championships 
1968 Residential expansion of campus 
1975-1988 Pattillo Era: Oglethorpe University becomes academically selective and gains national recognition 
1988 - 1999 Stanton Era: Weltner Library renovations, Schmidt Center built, Conant Performing Arts Center built, academic quad placed on National Register of Historic Places.
1999 - 2005 Large Era: Robinson Hall renovations, Lupton Auditorium renovations, technology upgrades to classrooms, joined the Annapolis Group, campus master plan completed.
2005 - Present Schall Era begins


 

©2014 Oglethorpe University | 4484 Peachtree Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30319 | 404.261.1441 or 1.800.428.4484 | Privacy Policy