Oglethorpe University welcomes students who wish to transfer to
Oglethorpe from other accredited institutions, provided they are
in good standing at the last college or university
attended. Students who have completed 1-23 credit hours are considered "freshman transfers," and students who have completed 24+ credit hours are "transfers".
Transfer students must submit the following:
- Application fee.
- Official transcripts from each college
- If fewer than 24 credit hours have been completed, official high school transcript and test
scores (either SAT or ACT).
- Recommendation from an instructor or counselor.
Transfer Work under Articulation Agreements
Oglethorpe offers the opportunity to transfer work through collaborative efforts with other
institutions by way of Articulation Agreements. Formal agreements have been made with
the following schools:
- Traditional program and honors program at Georgia Perimeter College in Atlanta, Georgia
- The Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences and the Arts in Hot Springs, Arkansas
- The Louisiana School for Math, Science and the Arts in Natchitoches, Louisiana
- The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science in Columbus, Mississippi
- The North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics in Durham, North Carolina
- The Caribbean Examinations Council in Barbados, West Indies
Additional Transfer Credit Policies and Residency Requirements
The university accepts a maximum of 64 hours of credit in transfer. A minimum of 64 semester hours must be completed at Oglethorpe as well as at least half of the semester hours required for a major to earn an Oglethorpe degree, with 52 of the last 64 hours earned in residence. Credit earned at Atlanta Regional Council for Higher Education (ARCHE) institutions on a cross-registration basis and credit earned in an approved study abroad program are considered Oglethorpe credit. Credit may be transferred in from the following:
• A maximum of 30 semester hours of credit earned through the United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI)
• A maximum of 32 semester hours of credit earned through a combination of the following programs:
1. The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests
2. The Advanced Placement (AP) tests
3. The International Baccalaureate Program (IB)
• Students who hold the R.N. credential from an appropriately accredited institution are awarded credit for their arts and sciences courses. To earn a bachelor’s degree, the student must complete the Core Curriculum, a major and other applicable requirements.
• Credits earned at post-secondary institutions accredited by the six regional accrediting bodies (e.g., Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Higher Education, etc.)
• Credits earned at post-secondary institutions accredited by national crediting bodies (e.g., Association of Independent Schools and Colleges, American Association of Bible Colleges, etc.) may be accepted. Student transcripts are evaluated on an individual basis. Actual catalog course descriptions and relevant course syllabi must be provided by the student. Oglethorpe’s registrar determines transfer credit.
• Courses recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE ) may be accepted by the registrar. Programs not recognized by ACE are not accepted.