Like us on Facebook
Instrumental Scholarship Application
Instrumental Scholarships for non-Music Majors
Brass, Woodwind and Percussion
Who should apply: Students with a strong academic record and significant experience in band or orchestral playing are excellent candidates for this program.
Purpose: To reward excellence and achievement in instrumental performance
Amounts: Ranging from $500.00-$1500.00 per year. (Awards are applicable to any degree offered at Oglethorpe.)
- Must be accepted for admission to Oglethorpe University
- Must not be planning to major in music
- Must exhibit excellence in playing, as well as above average music reading skills in audition
- Must register for Music 144 (Oglethorpe Concert Winds) and perform with this organization and the OU Pep Band every year on scholarship.
Procedure: To apply, you must complete the application provided here (see adjacent button to download). If the application warrants and the conductor considers it necessary, then candidates will be invited to come to campus for an audition followed by an interview with the Director of Bands.
Scholarship Auditions: Held at varying time throughout the year, awards are made annually to coincide with the academic calendar year (September-May). All auditions usually take place during the January Scholarship Weekend, during the second summer Passport Day, the week before classes begin or by private appointment during the year. The location will be determined by the date.
To schedule an audition or for answers to questions, contact: Professor Paul Scanling, Director of Bands. PScanling@oglethorpe.edu ,
- 5 major scales of your choice
- a prepared piece of your choice – one that gives evidence of your playing ability
- a brief sight-reading selection