With an extremely favorable outlook in both the short and long term, dentistry is an excellent career path for a science-focused student with a knack for patient care. Here are a few reasons why:
- The current cohort of dentists entering the field is not large enough to replace those who are retiring. By 2020, a shortage of dentists is predicted.
- With dental insurance coverage increasing (coverage rates now stand at 58 percent), more Americans are seeking regular dental care.
- Dentists have excellent earning potential, even as compared to physicians, and wages are projected to further increase.
The Pre-Dentistry track at Oglethorpe isn’t a major; instead, it’s a selection of courses that you’ll take to fulfill eligibility requirements for admission to dental school. This can vary based on the program and your career goals, so it’s important for you to meet with your adviser to design the best course of study.
Pre-Dentistry courses can be taken alongside your major, whether you choose a closely allied subject like biology, or a complementary field like psychology or business.
Oglethorpe Pre-Dentistry students have great opportunities for internships, shadowing, and employment.
- One of the best reasons to pursue Pre-Dentistry at Oglethorpe: the individualized mentorship and advising. Your adviser at OU won’t just know your name; they’ll know you. Your adviser will understand your strengths and your career goals, and they can help you through the process of assessing your options and building the strongest case for admission to dental school.
- As Oglethorpe alumni have gone on to successful dentistry careers, they’ve continued to give back to the community and mentor the next generation. Current students are completing internships at the office of Dr. Kenneth Hutchinson, D.M.D. (class of ’78) and the office of Dr. Denise Allen, D.M.D. (class of ’93).
With qualified dentists increasingly in high demand, your career outlook is exceptional.
- As a dentist, you’ll have the option to work in a group dental practice, open your own solo practice, or pursue teaching and research.
- Admission to dental school is highly competitive, with more than twice as many applicants each year as available spots in first-year classes. Fortunately, Oglethorpe graduates enjoy an extremely high placement rate; indeed, it’s rare for one of our students to not be accepted. Recent alumni attend dental school at the Georgia Regents University College of Dental Medicine, the University of Michigan School of Dentistry, and the Oregon Health and Science University School of Dentistry.