Through Oglethorpe University’s partnership with Mercer University, becoming a teacher and achieving your goals are within reach. The 4+1 Bridge Program allows you to lead your own classroom sooner through accelerated courses of study in undergraduate and graduate degree programs offered by Oglethorpe and Mercer in as little as five years.
After earning an undergraduate degree in the major of your choice at Oglethorpe, you will choose an area of specialization through Mercer’s Master of Arts in Teaching offerings in Early Childhood, Middle Grades, and Secondary Education. You will also be eligible for initial teacher certification upon successful completion of the program.
Phase I: Beginning Study at Oglethorpe University
- Prior to junior year at Oglethorpe and admission to the bridge program
Phase II: Advanced Study at Oglethorpe University and Mercer University
- During Junior and/or Senior year at Oglethorpe and after admission to the bridge program
- Begin undergraduate education courses at Mercer
Phase III: Graduate Study at Mercer University
- After completion of Oglethorpe undergraduate degree and admission to the bridge program
B.A., B.S., B.B.A, or B.A.L.S. in [Major] from Oglethorpe University
Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) from Mercer University
Enjoy learning in Atlanta, home to 89 public schools that are looking for emerging educators like you.
- K-12 teachers top the list of “hot careers” projected by the Georgia Department of Labor to 2026 with an estimated 10,000 annual openings in the state.
- 2016-2026 education sector job growth expected to be 13.6%.
- Of the 90 industry sub sectors in Georgia, Educational Services is projected to have the most growth, adding over 51,000 jobs.
- At the detailed industry level, elementary and secondary schools employment will grow the most in Georgia from 2016 to 2026 with projected job growth of over 34,500.
Source: Georgia Department of Labor
Oglethorpe University Requirements
- Candidates must be classified as a Junior and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Eligible degree programs include: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Business Administration
- Sufficient SAT or ACT scores to exempt the GACE Program Admission Assessment or have passed the GACE Program Admission Assessment
- Completed online, self-paced module “GACE Educator Ethics for Program Entry Assessment”
- Complete a no-fee, streamlined application to the bridge program
Mercer University Requirements
- For advanced study at Mercer (Phase II), candidates must successfully meet the above Oglethorpe University requirements and have the streamlined bridge program application approved by Mercer University
- For graduate study at Mercer (Phase III), candidates must successfully complete the above criteria, have the streamlined bridge program application approved by Mercer University, and have earned an appropriate undergraduate degree from Oglethorpe