Taking the test
Oglethorpe requires that all new students interested in studying Math, Engineering, Biopsychology, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology take the Math Placement Exam. The test is free and is taken online.
1. Set up your OASIS and OU Email:
- About two weeks after you send in your enrollment deposit, you will be sent OASIS and OU Email set up information. You MUST set up your account before you can access the Math Placement Exam.
2. Log in to Moodle:
- Visit https://moodle.oglethorpe.edu and log in using your OASIS/OU Email credentials. Under “My Courses” you’ll see the link for the Math Placement Exam.
3. Read the Student Guide!
- Please read the entirety of the Student Guide for complete details on scheduling and taking your exam.
4. Receive Your Results at MAP:
- If you take your Math Placement Exam MORE than two weeks before your scheduled MAP Day, you will receive your math placement at MAP! You MUST receive your placement before scheduling a test retake.
- Computer: The exam will use a live proctor to monitor your progress, so a computer with a functioning camera is required.
- Calculator: Any calculator/graphing calculator that is not web-enabled is acceptable.
- Scratch Paper: You are allowed to use scratch paper for the exam. You will be asked by your proctor to dispose of the scratch paper after the test concludes.
- OU Email/Moodle Login Credentials: You MUST have your OU Email/Moodle login credentials in order to take the exam. If you sent in your enrollment deposit less than two weeks ago, your credentials will be sent to you soon. If you sent in your enrollment deposit more than two weeks ago and have not received your OU Email credentials, or if you are having trouble logging into your OU Email, please contact IT at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Where: Any quiet place – your bedroom, a library, at school, etc., should be fine.
- When: Schedule in advance and take it anytime! You must schedule your exam at least 24 hours in advance to avoid fees. Make sure you do not miss your scheduled testing date! Cancellations or changes within 24 hours will result in a $5 fee; missed tests will result in a $15 fee. You MUST take the exam at least TWO WEEKS before your MAP Day. If you do not take the exam at least two weeks before your MAP Day, you will be initially placed into our foundational math course.
- No formal preparation is needed. The test touches on subjects you may have covered in your high school curriculum in Coordinate Algebra, Algebra II/Advanced Algebra, and Pre-Calculus.
- Any calculator/graphing calculator that is not web-enabled is acceptable.
- There are two parts to the exam. Each section is timed at one hour. You should take the exam when you have at LEAST two hours free.
- To be eligible for testing accommodations, you must provide appropriate documentation from a licensed or certified professional with expertise in the specific disability. We will accept, IEP, 504, or letter from a treating provider. Please submit this documentation to email@example.com. The documentation needs to state a diagnosis and recommended accommodations. You should wait until you hear back from a member of our accessibility staff to schedule your exam! If you have any questions or concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Short Answer: Yes!
- Longer Answer: It’s possible you’ve taken an AP/IB/Dual-Enrollment class that will serve as a course equivalency. However, we receive some of these scores very late in the summer. Furthermore, you also may be able to score higher on the Math Placement Exam than your AP/IB/Dual Enrollment credit indicates. We will always place you into the highest math level possible based on your credits and exam scores. Please submit ALL OFFICIAL transcripts and scores to the Office of Admission as soon as they are available.
- When you complete the exam, you are shown a page with a score. We recommend you save or print this page for future reference. Our Oglethorpe faculty hand-grade each exam to determine an appropriate placement. You will receive your placement at your summer MAP Day.
- You can take the test twice over the course of your Oglethorpe career. Once you complete the exam for the first time, you MUST wait to see your placement before scheduling another test.
- After receiving your placement, you can choose to re-test. Remember, you can only take the Math Placement Exam twice over the course of your Oglethorpe career.
- Alternatively, you can register for our Intensive Math Option during the month of July/early August. Visit the IMO page to learn more and to register (you must have completed math placement first in order to determine eligibility). Plus, the IMO represents an over 80% savings per credit hour vs. taking the same course in the fall! Note that each session is limited to 12 students.
- For students who would like to get a jump start on their college mathematics sequencing, Oglethorpe offers a summer Intensive Math Option during the month of July/early August. This is one way to get a head start on the pre-/co-requisites for fall courses in science/math majors. Visit the IMO page to learn more and to register (you must have completed math placement first in order to determine eligibility). Plus, the IMO represents an over 80% savings per credit hour vs. taking the same course in the fall! Note that each session is limited to 12 students.