Office: Hearst 108
B.S., Georgia Institute of Technology
M.A.T., Western Governors University
M.S. (in progress), Emporia State University
Mr. Shillito joined the Oglethorpe faculty as an instructor in 2020. He has been teaching mathematics since 2009, having previously worked as a lead tutor at a tutoring center, a teacher at a private high school, and an instructor for the Georgia Governor’s Honors Program (GHP). He is the Webmaster and Information Technology Director for the Georgia Council of Teachers of Mathematics (GCTM), and frequently presents at the Georgia Mathematics Conference (GMC).
- Tuesday: 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
- Thursday: 8:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
Areas of Research and Interest:
Mathematical interests include number systems with infinitesimal elements (such as hyperreal and surreal numbers) and the role of division by zero throughout different areas of mathematics (such as in projective geometry). Mathematics education research interests include active learning techniques, mastery-based grading schemes, and alternative assessment techniques.
- MAT 120 Introduction to Functions
- MAT 130 Advanced Functions
- COR 314 Mathematics and Human Nature
Hobbies and Other Interests:
- Learning as many languages as possible
- Designing websites about mathematics
- Playing rhythm games
- Producing electronic music for rhythm games