B.A., Ancient History and Egyptology, University College London
M.St., Ancient Greek History, University of Oxford
Ph.D., Egyptology, Brown University
Dr. Tompkins completed her Ph.D. in Egyptology at Brown University in 2018. She also holds a Master of Studies in Ancient Greek History from the University of Oxford and a B.A. in Ancient History and Egyptology from University College London. She has been Visiting Assistant Professor of History at Oglethorpe since 2019, where she teaches courses on a variety of topics on the ancient world.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- “The Misnomer of Nomarchs: Οἱ νομάρχαι and Provincial Administrators of the Old – Middle Kingdoms.” Zeitschrift für Ägyptische Sprache und Altertumskunde 145(1): 95-104
- “Experimental Archaeology and Pedagogy: Benefits, Challenges, and Outcomes.” American Schools of Oriental Research Annual Meeting, November 2020 (online due to COVID-19). *Forthcoming
- “Was the Old Kingdom a Segmented State?” American Research Center in Egypt. Alexandria, VA. April 12-14, 2018.
- “Constructing Legacies of Provincial Power in Old Kingdom Egypt,” American Research Center in Egypt. Tucson, AZ. April 20-22, 2019. *Best Student Paper finalist
- “Regionalism, Fluidity, and the Ad Hoc Nature of Old Kingdom Provincial Government(s),” American Research Center in Egypt. Atlanta, GA. April 15-17, 2016.
- “(Trying to look in on) Titles in Ancient Egyptian Administration,” 3rd Birmingham Egyptology Symposium. Birmingham, UK. February 19, 2016.
- “The Nomarch: What’s in a Title?” American Research Center in Egypt. Houston, TX. April 24-26, 2015.
- “Nomarchs of Old-Middle Kingdom Egypt: A New Interpretation of Provincial Power.” Emory University, Atlanta GA. February 18, 2020.
- “Power in Death: Mastabas and Provincial Elite Power in Old Kingdom Egypt.” Michael C. Carlos Museum, Atlanta GA, February 4, 2020.
- “Weapons and Warfare in Ancient Egypt,” Robert and Frances Fullerton, 2019
- Women and Gender in the Ancient World
- Religion and Culture in the Ancient World
- Modern Problems in the Ancient World
- Ancient Warfare
- Ancient Egyptian History: Pyramids and Power Origins – c.1750 BC
- Ancient Egyptian History: Conquest and Empires c.1750-30 BCE
- Historical Perspectives on the Social Order: Myth, Memory, & Origins