At the heart of every successful organization is strong communication. Companies talk to their employees and customers; not-for-profit organizations reach out to their communities and supporters; government agencies address the constituents they serve. Whatever an organization’s goal, great communication will help it happen. And that great communication is often the work of a PR professional.
In the Public Relations program at Oglethorpe, you’ll develop all the skills you need to work as a PR and strategic communications professional. You’ll gain insight into the emotions and motivations that drive consumers, customers and clients. You’ll explore the fundamental building blocks of communication campaigns. You’ll hone your skills for the digital age.
You’ll learn how to…
- Understand what guides and motivates customer behavior.
- Create engaging and effective content for social media.
- Develop key PR materials like press releases, backgrounders and feature articles.
- Assess and analyze the success of a communications campaign.
- Navigate organizational crises through better communication.
- Excel in the digital world with visual storytelling, social media strategy and more.
Track within Communications Studies major.
- Students studying PR at Oglethorpe have the opportunity to work for real clients and earn academic credit. The Weltner Consulting Agency is a student-led strategic communications firm that allows students to function like a real firm. By creating actual campaigns for clients, students gain experience in areas such as event planning, social media marketing, graphic design and video production. Students can take the class multiple times, to enhance their real-world experience while still earning academic credit.
- Become a member of the student chapter of the Public Relationships Student Society of America. It’s the world’s leading professional organization for PR students, and there are many benefits to joining. You’ll be matched with an Atlanta area mentor; tour at least two Atlanta communications agencies each year; and attend “lunch and learn” events with local professionals every semester. Recently, Oglethorpe students visited multinational communications firm Edelman, whose Atlanta office works with clients like Arby’s, Gerber and Newell. Another recent destination: Vert, the award-winning digital marketing and advertising agency, whose clients include Coca-Cola, ESPN, the Weather Channel and Oglethorpe.
- One unique aspect of studying public relations at Oglethorpe: you’ll take at least two courses that feature service learning. In these courses, you’ll help create marketing and communications materials for Atlanta organizations that serve the community. These courses offer a meaningful way to learn while doing, expand your experience, build your portfolio — and make an impact for good.
- Oglethorpe PR students have landed fantastic internships. One is an intern at Caren West PR; another is an intern at Full Tilt Consulting. Another student is serving as an intern on an NIH-funded research project at the University of Georgia.
- With a degree in public relations from Oglethorpe, you’ll have the training you need to excel at a PR agency or an in-house PR department. You can also explore adjacent roles in marketing, advertising, corporate communications and public affairs.
- The major also offers excellent preparation for additional study. While an advanced degree is not necessary for a successful career in the field, some graduates choose to earn a Masters in Communication or related areas.
- Our alumni are employed in roles such as Staff writer at WebMD; Assistant Account Executive at Cookerly PR; Senior Associate, healthcare Practice at Golan (NYC); Communications Coordinator in higher education; Marketing Assistant & Player Liaison at Inspired XI; Leadership Development Program Associate with Acosta Group; Amazon Area Manager.