At the heart of every successful organization is strong communication. Companies talk to their employees and customers; not-for-profit organizations reach out to their communities and supporters; government agencies address the constituents they serve. Whatever an organization’s goal, great communication will help it happen. And that great communication is often the work of a PR professional.
In the Public Relations program at Oglethorpe, you’ll develop all the skills you need to work as a PR and strategic communications professional. You’ll gain insight into the emotions and motivations that drive consumers, customers and clients. You’ll explore the fundamental building blocks of communication campaigns. You’ll hone your skills for the digital age.
You’ll learn how to…
- Understand what guides and motivates customer behavior.
- Create engaging and effective content for social media.
- Develop key PR materials like press releases, backgrounders and feature articles.
- Assess and analyze the success of a communications campaign.
- Navigate organizational crises through better communication.
- Excel in the digital world with visual storytelling, social media strategy and more.
Track within Communications Studies major.
- Join Pegasus Creative, the student communications agency, and gain hands-on experience in public relations — and related fields like journalism, photography, social media and video production. You’ll work collaboratively with your classmates while being guided by professional staff members from Oglethorpe’s university communications team. Gain experience, earn college credit, and build a polished portfolio to help launch your career.
- Become a member of the student chapter of the Public Relationships Student Society of America. It’s the world’s leading professional organization for PR students, and there are many benefits to joining. You’ll be matched with an Atlanta area mentor; tour at least two Atlanta communications agencies each year; and attend “lunch and learn” events with local professionals every semester. Recently, Oglethorpe students visited multinational communications firm Edelman, whose Atlanta office works with clients like Arby’s, Gerber and Newell. Another recent destination: Vert, the award-winning digital marketing and advertising agency, whose clients include Coca-Cola, ESPN, the Weather Channel and Oglethorpe.
- One unique aspect of studying public relations at Oglethorpe: you’ll take at least two courses that feature service learning. In these courses, you’ll help create marketing and communications materials for Atlanta organizations that serve the community. These courses offer a meaningful way to learn while doing, expand your experience, build your portfolio — and make an impact for good.
- Oglethorpe PR students have landed fantastic internships. One is an intern at Caren West PR; another is an intern at Full Tilt Consulting. Another student is serving as an intern on an NIH-funded research project at the University of Georgia.
- With a degree in public relations from Oglethorpe, you’ll have the training you need to excel at a PR agency or an in-house PR department. You can also explore adjacent roles in marketing, advertising, corporate communications and public affairs.
- The major also offers excellent preparation for additional study. While an advanced degree is not necessary for a successful career in the field, some graduates choose to earn a Masters in Communication or related areas.