September 15 – September 16, 2017
Family weekend has something for everyone!
Need to book a hotel for the weekend?
Check out the Oglethorpe discounts offered by our Petrel Partners!
6:00-8:00 pm | Family Fun Experience
The entire family is invited to experience a Friday night of fun! Visit the Turner Lynch Campus Center for attractions such as:
- Food/beverage experiences provided by campus Greek chapters and athletic teams. Enjoy some treats from funnel cakes to chicken wings. (Credit cards can be used to purchase tickets, with limited cast to make change.)
- Get the whole family in our Big Red Chair to get a memorable family photo!
- APO, a large service organization, will be manning a kiddie area, complete with a bounce house.
- 6:00PM: Student/faculty variety show will be taking place with over 20 G-rated acts. Come see how much talent Oglethorpe has!
- 7:00 PM: Phi Delta Epsilon, the medical fraternity, has joined with the Art Department to present an anatomy fashion show in the Petrel’s Nest Dining Hall using latex paint and spandex as a canvas to learn about human body systems.
- All money collected on this night will go directly to two highly-regarded local charitable organizations. Know that a full dinner with vegan and gluten-free options is always available in the Petrel’s Nest Dining Hall—both credit and cash are accepted.
9:00-11:00 am | Breakfast
Arrive at the Petrel’s Nest cafeteria in the Turner Lynch Campus Center any time between 9a and 11a to eat with your family. Vegan and gluten-free options are available—both credit and cash are accepted.
10:00 am-12:00 pm | Family Service Project on Campus
Everyone can enjoy the beauty of campus! Make it even more beautiful as families help clear the Oglethorpe Trail in the heart of campus, repaint handrails in the Residential Quad, and enhance the areas surrounding the OU Community Garden. Work gloves will be provided but please wear closed-toe shoes.
12:00-2:00 pm | Lunch with Larry
Come-and-go dining is available in the Petrel’s Nest from noon to 2:00 PM. Vegan and gluten-free options are available—both credit and cash are accepted.. Feel free to time your meal to hear President Larry Schall speak at 1:30 PM in the Trustee Room regarding a brand new academic building coming soon. Space for the presentation is limited and seating is first-come-first-serve.
2:00-3:00 pm | Parent Information Panels
Certain practices will make your students soar while at Oglethorpe. In the Trustee Room, the Parents Leadership Council will sponsor two panels with faculty presenting about success in the classroom at 2:00 PM, and university alumni presenting about success after Oglethorpe at 2:30 PM.
3:00-4:30 pm | High Tea
No visit to Oglethorpe is complete without visiting our renowned art museum. Why not see the special exhibitions in style with free tea and scones! Adult admission to the museum is only $5.
5:00 pm | Women’s & Men’s Soccer
It is time to Get Stormy! Your family will have a blast rooting for our Women’s and Men’s Soccer teams on the Turf Field as we battle Suwanee.
8:00 pm | A Night of Jazz, Blues and Funk with Joe Alterman
The Arts at Oglethorpe presents a night of jazz, blues and funk with pianist Joe Alterman and featuring Jazz Orchestra Atlanta, directed by Oglethorpe Senior Lecturer of Music, Brent Runnels. General admission tickets are $20, Oglethorpe students are free with a Petrel Pass and faculty/staff tickets are $10. A portion of the ticket proceeds will benefit the OU Music Department. Pre-show “fan fare” will be available through Oglethorpe Dining. Dine outdoors and enjoy a full dinner or just small nibbles. Please place your order by Monday, September 24. A cash bar will also be available. Proper ID required. Visit the event page to learn more about this event and place your catering order.
For more information, please contact the Director of Student Engagement & Leadership, Shane Pruitt. We hope to see you there!