We guarantee that you will…
Graduate in four years, get a job or grad school admission within 6 months, or your fifth year is on us!
We’ll have the classes you need. We’ll provide opportunities for exceptional hands-on experiences to prepare you for the real-world. We’ll provide the resources to help you in your transition after Oglethorpe.
Start here. Finish here. Take on the world. (And that’s a promise)
The Petrel Promise
Oglethorpe promises that students will:
- graduate within four years or pay no tuition for credits needed to graduate in five years.
- secure full-time employment or admission into a graduate school within six months of graduation, or return for a full year tuition-free.
To be eligible, students must:
- Begin their college career, seeking their first bachelor’s degree and enrolled full time, at Oglethorpe beginning in fall 2016 or later (transfers are not eligible).
- Maintain academic good standing and make satisfactory academic progress each year.
- Take responsibility for knowing degree and major requirements.
- Review their plan of study regularly with their academic advisor, especially during their first and second years.
- Notify their advisor promptly of changes in their plan of study.
- Have officially declared their major by the time of fall registration (registering for spring classes) for their sophomore year.
- Register for classes during the University’s published registration period.
- Complete an average of 32 semester hours each year (summers included).
- Earn minimum grades in courses to meet published program requirements for course progression.
- Remain in good disciplinary standing.
- Meet all published Oglethorpe payment deadlines.
Students who change majors or pursue multiple majors or minors are not eligible for the promise, but most are still able to graduate in four years.
To be eligible for the employment/ graduate school promise, students must also:
- Aggressively seek employment or admission to graduate school.
- Complete an internship and/or successful campus employment.
- Participate in at least one significant campus extracurricular activity and/or extensive volunteer service.
- Visit Career Development in the TLCC at least once each academic year.
- Receive a positive letter of recommendation from their academic advisor.
To ensure students graduate in four years, Oglethorpe promises to provide:
- Complete and accurate information about degree and major requirements.
- Qualified academic advisors.
- Timely access to courses required for students’ degrees.
To ensure students are prepared to seek employment or admission to graduate school, Oglethorpe promises to provide:
- Access to career assessments, professional development workshops, career and graduate school resources, resume assistance and career counseling.
- Assistance in securing internships and/or campus employment.
- Opportunities for civic engagement, study abroad and undergraduate research.
In the event that a student has met all requirements and is unable to complete the degree in four years or fewer, Oglethorpe will:
- Pay tuition* for any required courses taken at OU to complete a student’s major or degree—not a minor or area of concentration.
In the event that a student has met all requirements and is unable to secure full-time employment or admission to graduate school within six months, Oglethorpe will:
- Pay tuition* for one year (2 semesters), up to 19 credit hours each semester.
- Students may return up to 24 months after graduation.
- All additional coursework must be vetted by an academic advisor.
*The guarantee only covers undergraduate tuition. The student will be responsible for all room and board expenses, books and other charges and fees.
Students wishing to take advantage of the Petrel Promise will fill out an application and write a short personal statement on their circumstances. The application will be reviewed by the non-academic affairs committee. Students will be expected to abide by the Honor Code in their application.