TheDream.US Scholarship Program

Proudly Supporting DREAMers

Oglethorpe University is the first Georgia college to partner with TheDream.US to provide scholarships to qualified immigrant students who came to the United States as children, or “DREAMers”.

TheDream.US is the nation’s largest college access program for DREAMers. The program raises private funds and awards scholarships to help these students pay for their college education. Oglethorpe University is committed to serving DREAMers and prepared to offer TheDream.US Scholars the support services they need to successfully navigate their college journey and graduate.

Learn more

Contact our TheDream.US liaison with any questions!

Kellie Butler
Associate Director of Admission
Phone: 404-364-8446
Text: 404-898-2909
View full profile

Giuliana Cardoza
Admission Counselor
Phone: 404-364-8455
Text: 404-531-1570
View full profile

Learn about the support and resources available to DACA and undocumented Oglethorpe students.



Your scholarship covers all of your tuition and basic student fees for 4 years if you are a first-time college student, or 2 years if you are a Community College graduate. Basic fees include your $250 orientation fee your first semester, your $140 student activity fee each semester, and your enrollment deposit.  You will also receive a $500 annual stipend from TheDream.US to be used towards housing, books, or other costs.

Your scholarship does not cover room and board costs or lab fees, overload fees, or any other fees not covered in the above description.  Students who do not meet the qualifications for an exemption from on-campus housing are required to live on campus for at least 3 of their 4 years at OU, and their scholarship does not include these costs.  We will prioritize low-cost housing for scholars who request it by the priority housing deadline.  Commuter students will also be responsible for paying their $225 commuter meal plan fee per semester, 100% of which is loaded onto your Petrel Pass so that you may eat in the dining hall or the on-campus Starbucks.  Students taking a science course with a lab or certain art courses may also have to pay a $100 lab fee as part of their bill to cover materials needed for the class.

No, your full tuition award includes any scholarships you may have already been offered by Oglethorpe, and the awards cannot be stacked.  You will be receiving additional funding from OU to bring your total aid to a full-tuition plus basic fees award, so you cannot stack any merit scholarships on top of a full-tuition award.  However, if you receive any additional scholarships from outside groups or foundations, you are welcome to stack those on top of your full tuition award or use them to cover other educational expenses.

Here is a list of undergraduate scholarships that do not require proof of citizenship or legal permanent residency.

Yes, however students have to be a bit more selective about the jobs, internships, and fellowships that they pursue. Here are a few options that our undocumented students can use as a starting point.

  • Handshake: All students are recommended to make an account on Handshake to always have complete access to the jobs/internships available through Oglethorpe. For DACA recipients, there are a number of available on-campus jobs as long as they do not receive funding from the Federal Work-Study Program. For those without DACA, there are typically fewer options on Handshake, but opportunities do occasionally pop up. If you already have an account, you can more quickly apply for those positions when they do arise.An example of an on-campus job available to undocumented students is a Resident Assistant (RA) position. Students who have lived in the dorms for one year can apply to be an RA and receive a discounted housing rate.
  • Micro-Internships through Parker Dewey: Oglethorpe has recently established this partnership with Parker Dewey, an organization that matches employers with independent contractors for short-term, paid projects. Because workers serve as independent contractors instead of full-time employees, work authorization isn’t needed Contractors can file taxes using only an ITIN. This is a new partnership, but it has a great deal of potential for undocumented students looking for valuable experience at different companies.
  • Immigrants Rising List of Undergraduate Fellowships: The fellowships on this list are open to undocumented undergraduate students and provide opportunities for students to receive funding while pursuing career, professional, and academic development.
  • Internships at the Latin American Association: There are also competitive internship opportunities at the Latin American Association related to program planning, fundraising, marketing, grant writing, communications, public relations, youth education, and immigration legal services. These internships can potentially provide credit and experience at the LAA’s office just a few miles from Oglethorpe.

Financial struggles are a constant challenge and this list of opportunities will continue to be a work in progress. For more information, feel free to reach out to Peter Dye (

A scholar advisor is someone to help you out on campus related to the specific needs and experiences of recipients of the TheDream.US scholarship. As much as everyone at Oglethorpe is eager to support your studies, they may not always know everything about your scholarship or the specific experiences of Dreamers. Your advisor is someone you can come to when you have questions about your scholarship, getting connected with other students, or even if you just need someone to talk to about other issues in your college life and aren’t sure where to go. Your Dream.US scholar advisor at Oglethorpe is Peter Dye, and you can contact him with any questions or concerns at

Yes! If you’re on Instagram, be sure to follow the OU Undocumented Student Organization @OUMonarchs and the OU Undocumented Student Center, @UndocuPetrels for updates on events and resources. You can also check OUConnect for information about student organizations and upcoming events. Your scholar advisor (Peter Dye, can also help connect you with a representative from the student organization or an upperclassman that may have insights and experience related to your needs and questions.