Applying for Academic Credit

How to apply for internship credit:

1. Talk to Your Faculty Supervisor

Speak with your faculty supervisor about your paper topic and learning objectives. Don’t know who that is? Contact your department’s program chair

3. Complete Documents

Be sure to attach your signed site agreement, resume, and learning objectives after completing the application.

The deadline for approval for internships for credit is the drop/add date of each semester. Please keep in mind, internship course credits are billed at the same rate as a regular class.

Who can apply for internship credit?

Internships are available in all majors for students who:

  • Are a sophomore, junior or senior with minimum grade point average of 2.0.
  • Demonstrate a clear understanding of goals they wish to accomplish in the experience
  • Possess the necessary academic and personal background to accomplish these goals.

Transfer students must complete one semester at Oglethorpe prior to participation.

You should apply for academic credit if an internship is required by your major and/or if you want the internship listed on your transcript.

For a more detailed list of requirements, visit the Resource Library on Handshake!

F-1 Visa Holders and Internships for Credit

F-1 student visa holders can pursue internships off campus as long as they are approved by Career Development for an internship for credit. The Internship for Credit application is the first step for an F-1 student to then apply for Curricular Practical Training/CPT work permission to accept a paid OR unpaid internship off-campus. If you have any questions about CPT and OPT work permissions, contact the Office of Global Education at [email protected].